Marvel’s The Punisher
Marvel’s The Punisher, or simply The Punisher, is an upcoming American web television series created for Netflix by Steve Lightfoot, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), sharing continuity with the films and other television series of the franchise, and is a spin-off of Marvel’s Daredevil. The series is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios, with Lightfoot serving as showrunner.
The series revolves around Frank Castle, who uses lethal methods to fight crime as the vigilante “the Punisher”, with Jon Bernthal reprising the role from Daredevil. Ben Barnes, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Amber Rose Revah, Deborah Ann Woll, Daniel Webber, Jason R. Moore, Paul Schulze, Jaime Ray Newman, and Michael Nathanson also star.
A television series centered on the Punisher received a put-pilot commitment at Fox in 2011, but that project fell through. In June 2015, Bernthal was cast as the character to appear in the second season of Daredevil.
Development on a spin-off titled The Punisher began by January 2016, before the second season of Daredevil was released. In April 2016, Marvel and Netflix ordered the series, confirmed Bernthal’s involvement, and announced Lightfoot as executive producer and showrunner. Filming began in New York City in October 2016, and concluded in April 2017.
The Punisher is scheduled to be released in 2017.
Video Source – FilmSelect Trailer
- Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle / Punisher: A vigilante who aims to fight the criminal underworld by any means necessary, no matter how lethal the results. Daredevil season one showrunner Steven S. DeKnight said this version of Punisher would be “completely the Marvel version,” as previous portrayals did not appear under the Marvel Studios / Marvel Television banner.
However, Bernthal did study all the previous portrayals, saying, “once you devour and eat up as much as you can, my way is to make it as personal as possible”. Bernthal was particularly inspired by the 2012 short film Dirty Laundry starring Thomas Jane.
On how Castle resonates with him, Bernthal said, “He ain’t got a fucking cape. He ain’t got any superpowers. He’s a fucking tortured, angry father and husband who’s living in this unbelievable world of darkness and loss and torment.”
Bernthal added that there would be “a military component” in the series since Castle is “a soldier… [The series] will be somewhat centered on that… I think that [the] Frank Castle that was in Daredevil is not in Punisher.” Bernthal noted he “always want[ed] to preserve the essence of” Castle, who Bernthal described as “brutal”, “damaged” and “tortured”, by exploring “the pain and what’s behind the violence and the reason why he’s committing the violence” that is “utterly satisfying and addictive for him”.
- Ben Barnes as Billy Russo: Castle’s best friend from when he served in the United States Special Forces. Russo runs Anvil, a private military corporation.
- Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Micro: A former NSA analyst who assists Castle.
- Amber Rose Revah as Dinah Madani: A Department of Homeland Security agent who is vexed by Castle.
- Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page:A reporter at the New York Bulletin and Matt Murdock’s former assistant, who befriended Castle after working on his case. Woll reprises her role from previous Marvel Netflix series. Regarding Page’s continuing relationship with Castle, Woll said, “Frank has a soft spot in Karen’s heart, and certainly with the dark history that Karen has, there are very few people she can share her authentic self with. Frank is someone who she could potentially fully open up to.”
- Daniel Webber as Lewis Walcott: A young veteran struggling with his new life as a civilian.
- Jason R. Moore as Curtis Hoyle: A friend of Castle, one of the few people who knows he is alive.
- Paul Schulze as Rawlins: A high-ranking member of the CIA who crosses paths with Castle due to their time in Afghanistan.
- Jaime Ray Newman as Sarah Lieberman: Micro’s wife.
- Michael Nathanson as Sam Stein: A Department of Homeland Security agent, Madani’s partner.
Article Source – Wikipedia